If you have been to Korea, you might have noticed the famous street food duk boki. It is nothing but spicy rice cakes in cylindrical shapes. They are served in spicy and thick gravy. The Korean people also prepare these rice cakes in their homes. If you are planning to visit there anytime soon, do not miss this rice cake in Korean style.
Making Rice Cake From The Scratch
Though rice cakes are readily available in the market for making the spicy recipes, you can make them in your home too.
- Rice flour – 3 cups, short-grain flour
- Salt – ½ tsp
- Boiling water – 1 cup
How To Make
- Mix the rice flour with salt and water in a large bowl.
- Use parchment paper to line the rack of the steamer. Now put the rice dough in it and steam for about 25 minutes.
- When done, take the dough out and keep on the kitchen top. Pour ½ tsp of sesame oil and knead the dough to make it smooth. After that, cut it into small cylindrical shapes. Your authentic rice cakes are ready.
Recipe Of Rice Cake In Korean Style
The specialty of these rice cakes is you can make them with fish, beef, or with veggies. When served with bok choy or napa cabbage, it is hard to resist yourself from devouring them.
Preparation time – 60 minutes
Cooking time – 15 minutes
Serving – 4
- Cylindrical rice cakes -1 pound
- Water – 3 cups
- Hot chili pepper paste – 1 tbsp
- Hot chili powder – 1 tsp
- Garlic – 2 tsp, minced
- Sugar – 1 tbsp
- Soy sauce – 1 ½ tsp
- Shiitake mushroom – 3, soaked and cut into thin slices
- Napa cabbage – 2 cups, chopped
- Fish cakes – 1 packet, cut into 1-inch pieces
How To Make Rice Cake In Korean Style
- Put a pot on high heat and pour the water. Add the hot chili powder and hot chili paste, minced garlic, soy sauce, and sugar and let it boil for about 2 minutes.
- Reduce the heat and add the fish cakes. Mix the chopped cabbage, mushroom slices, and rice cakes. Increase the heat and as soon as boiling starts, reduce the heat. Let them simmer for about three minutes.
- When done, let it sit for some time to make the sauce thick.
- This dish is perfect for serving as a casual meal. Besides, you can use it as snacks with drinks.
If you are using frozen rice cakes bought from the market, you need to soak them in cold water for around 1 hour before cooking. If you do not have that time in hand, then it is better to add them in the sauce when you are starting to prepare it. Let them simmer for about 10 minutes and after that add the veggies. This way, the rice cakes will get the ideal suppleness and texture.
To store the leftover rice cakes, you need to keep them in a container with a lid. Keep it in the freezer. When you are about to cook, take them out only 10 minutes before that and soak them in water. After that, mix them in your gravy.